From:
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 15:29:56 -0700
>From:    Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
>Bill, please do not put down those kind hearted folks who are running
>shelters, caring for those uncared for without an income.

Did you read what you responded to?  We do NOT put down folks that run
shelters - we are folks that run shelters.  We don't want an argument about
whether our running a shelter and still donating to the shelters we think do
the most, is insulting the folks that run shelters.  We do think that
shelters should work to earn their keep.  Many have fundraisers or sell
products to earn the money needed for their shelters.  We do donate to those
that make this effort.

>In breed / rescue those folks assume the animals and absorb what they want
>for their own breeding purposes, then they find suitable homes for those
>who are older,retired or not preferred for their use.

Uh... No.  There is a very definite distinction between shelter ferrets and
ferrets brought in for the ferretry.  It is a very definite no-no to breed a
shelter ferret.  This same misconception exists in the dog world.  Lets look
at the logic here.  Responsible breeders have spent years aand years to
refine their ferrets (dogs/cats/horses/whatever) lines and would absolutely
NOT breed to just any ferret (dog/cat/horse/whatever) because there is no
way to know the background of what comes in.  Pedigrees would be ruined.
Conformation is at risk since without knowing the parentage there is no way
to know what recessive faults are lurking.  There may be efforts by Animal
Rightists to make a distinction between "shelters" and "breed/rescues" but
its not real.  Your very group LIFE for which you are Shelter Co-ordinator
does not make that distinction regarding its chosen Ark Angel shelters!  The
A/R folks are anti-pet so they want none bred.  They want this to be the
last generation and then no more.  This is why they condemn shelters that
are run by breeders as being less.  But they are the same.  Ferrets need a
home and go to the shelter until they get placed out to a new home.  This is
how Rose Smith of LOS, Pam Grant of STAR* (when she ran a shelter) and
Vickie McKimmey of the AFA do their breeding and shelters.  Its pretty much
universal across the groups.  We get a lot of referrals from various vets in
our area because they naturally assume that because we are a breeder we
would take in ferrets to be given up, or at least be a good contact to put
the people in touch with a shelter.

>I am sure what you do is good, but different from what us northerners
>are dealing with with 99 percent pet store ferrets in our shelters.

To date, every ferret that has been turned in by a private owner has been a
ferret purchased at a pet store.  In a few instances we have received
ferrets from small first-time breeders who discovered that "there's no money
in ferrets" and gone out of business.  These ferrets were put into our
shelter and adopted out (the new bunch that just arrived will be adopted out
as soon as feasible).  Both could use the help.  We've heard nothing from
the Bossarts that make us think it is different up there.

>And if you do not condone the ongoing hospice and care of unadoptable
>ferrets what course would you elect?

One way or another, all ferrets in our shelter are adopted out.  If a ferret
is found to be "unadoptable" by the general public for some reason (i.e.,
bad temperament, severe illness, etc.) we simply adopt that ferret
ourselves.  They become part of our personal pet menegerie so that they are
not deprived of that life style.  The number of these unadoptable ferrets so
far has been quite small.  The ill ferrets deserve to live out their lives
as cherished pets not stuffed away in a cage in a shelter.  If you really
try you can find homes for all ferrets in the shelters.  We've had people
specifically ask for the hard luck cases.  If finding them a home is the
goal you can find them a home.  You placed Gabriel which shows it can be
done.

There are not many strict ferret shelters in the US (following the criteria
of SPCA or humane societies).  Most ferret shelters start or become breed/
rescue organizations.  I am not saying that is wrong or right, but
different.

Actually there are none.  Ferrets were omitted from guidelines written about
cats and dogs so the AFA wrote Ferret shelter guidelines to fill the missing
portions.  Highly recommended.

>I hope yours are more profitable than those we have found.

It is a common misconception that there is money in ferrets.  The "adoption
fee" we charge for our shelter ferrets covers the cost of food and
veterinary fees we incur for the ferrets.  We never even approach "breaking
even" on that end.  The kits that we sell which we have bred again really
don't cover the costs incurred.  We find that we lost approximately
$12,000.00 a year on our shelter/ferretry.  This is in food and supplies
neglecting all the costs associated with the building and utilities.  We
have to file our taxes too.  We don't condemn shelters.  We support them.
Ask the shelters around here that actually take in and adopt out ferrets
whether they receive donations from us.  There are those in Virginia that do
not actually take ferrets in (or limit themselves to apparently one or two).
We get the ferrets they refused.  When Bill's "judge's fees" exceed the cost
to us for a show we attend, we donate that to the shelters that are there.
Its hurt us that anyone would accuse us of not supporting shelters.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]