From:
Barbara Griswold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 14:02:48 EDT
>Whew!  It's hot and humid in Upper MI and heat always makes me worried
>about our fuzzies.  Any tips on keeping the guys cool?  We'd love to get
>an air conditioner, but we live in an old home and the wiring isn't up to
>snuff.  Right now I'm keeping them in their big cage since their room is
>upstairs and out of the question, and roll it around to cooler parts of
>the house.  I'm using a fan to keep the air moving, but worry about the
>fan breeze blowing on them.  By Monday we should be okay again, but any
>idea on how to survive the rest of the week?

Hello!

A couple of thoughts on keeping your ferrets cool.  I use litre size soda
bottles filled 3/4th with water and frozen.  Wrap them in a small towel
and put them in their cage so they can get up next to the cold.

Secondly, a fan really doesn't help them as they don't sweat the same as
we do.  A fan will work if you put a block of ice in front of the fan and
allow it to blow over the ice and into the cage.

If you could see your way to a small room a/c, it would be great.  You can
pick them up pretty reasonably at garage sales, etc.

Good luck!  This heat is horrible...I agree!

Barb and the 5 whirling dervishes...Gus, Zak, Hope, Bren and Kate

Please give to Aleutian Disease research...the ferret you save may be your
own!  http://www.geocities.com/russiansmom/index.html