From:
Pat Baby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 2002 10:57:14 -0600
I have been reading posts on whether people will or will not have ferrets
in the future.  I got my first ferret about 18 years ago.  I didn't even
know in those days if I'd had him neutered he would not smell that way!
He used to get in the shower every morning with me and get a shampoo.
This was the best fun for him, we never thought of drying his skin out,
he always smelled of baby shampoo.  He would even drag his towel to the
kitchen sink if he heard me doing dishes in hopes of a quick dip.  He
would wrestle the cat and slept in the (empty) ashtray on the coffee
table.

Over the years I have had more ferrets than I can count, with many, many
rescues calling my home theirs for a short time.  I now have only six,
four of them are over 5 years old.

I don't think I would have the large numbers I have had in the past, but
I can always see myself having at least one or two.  Right now it is
financially very difficult for me, this is a big contributing factor.
After my upcoming move, hopefully that will change.

Another thing that definitely affects the number I have, is where I am
living.  If I had a little house of my own that I could fix up any way I
wanted, I would probably have a place for all the unadoptables that needed
a place to live out their final days.

All shelter operators have seen more abuse, and sadness than their dreams
can hold, but still, someone has to do it.

There have been times I wanted to hunt down and inflict the same
punishment on a person that the poor tiny body in my hands has received.
None of these babies asked to be abused, abandoned, discarded or
forgotten.

I think I can honestly say, as long as I meet a ferret that needs me, and
I can give her/him what they need, I will be there.  Even if I am in the
position where finances are impossible, I can still foster a shelters long
term unadoptable.

Besides stepping over barricades keeps you flexible.

Pat
and my little band of Merry Makers