From:
Nancy Farlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 1997 10:29:33 -0500
>From:    "Michael T. Birdsall, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: DOES ANYONE KNOW IF MY FERRET COULD HAVE EAR MITES??
>Does anyone know the definite symptoms of ear mites?  One of my fuzzies
>needs his ears cleaned almost daily....

Michael,

I treated all my guys and my two cats for earmites (and got rid of them!)
last year.  Earmites are pretty easy to diagnose with one of those devices
for ear exams.  They're easy to see, and boy are they ugly!  Once you see
them, you'lll want to get rid of them, whether your ferret cares or not!
The following is what my vet told me:

1) Earmites don't really bother ferrets (i.e., they don't cause itching), so
they are often left untreated.  We treated mine because the ferrets play
with the cats, and earmites *do* bother cats.

2) Some ferrets naturally have a heavy wax build-up in their ears, so that
isn't necessarily an indicator of earmites.  (Although if your guy's ears
smell bad, he could have an infection - not good.)

3) The medication my vet gave me for both the cats and the ferrets was
called Cerumite, a liquid, and you put several drops in once/day for the
prescribed period (I forget how long it was), then do a second round to kill
any new mites that hatched since the first treatment.  It worked for me.  No
more mites...

Hope this helps you.

Nancy