From:
Eliza Raven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:40:54 -0500
Hello,

Wow, two posts in one week is certainly a record for me.  I searched
the archives without any luck, but I am sure that this topic has been
discussed already.

I took Simon to the vet yesterday, where he was diagnosed with an ulcer
(and put on meds).  Today, he is eating a bit on his own, but he is not
drinking at all.  If he is drinking, it must be at night as he is by my
side every waking hour of the day.  I have been force-feeding him with
water, but I haven't a clue how much to give, or even how often.  I am
also giving him a pseudo duck soup mixture of a/d, ferretone, and
nutrical.  He is currently 1 pound 6 ounces; his normal weight is around
2 pounds 5 ounces.  His age is unknown, but estimated to be around 5
years old.  His stools are still of the black, tarry variety.  They are
not as firm as normal, but they hold their shape enough that they would
not classify as diarrhea.  So, how much water and how often is right for
a ferret?  The vet said she expects him to gain about an ounce a week.
Do you agree?

Please feel free to email me directly if you have any answers for me,
although I bet that everyone could benefit from reading posts on the
water requirements for ferrets.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!
-Eliza