Date:
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 01:28:14 -0700
>There have been some great suggestions.  I'd like the committee to
>carefully think about local airports and ground transportation options.
>Reno and Lake Tahoe are nice, but extraordinarily expensive to fly into
>unless you are in the Southwest.

Uh.....I don't think so.....some of the cheapest fares are to and from
Reno.  Look at Southwest or Alaska Air!

>I think it's fairest to move it around to various areas of the country
>to allow people who can't travel too far from home to attend.

That is correct.  East Coast then West Coast with the MidWest thrown in
every third year.

I believe I read somewhere that Kansas was really pushing to host the
next Symposium....that would be fair.

>I also think that the availability of inexpensive and convenient public
>transportation is something else that should be considered.

Not an issue.  I have never stayed in a hotel in the U.S. that did
not offer free pickup and delivery to the airport.  Even little old
Claremont, California had a shuttle to Ontario International.  I just
booked a reservation to Baltimore/Washington (BWI) airport in May and
the hotel in Richmond, Virginia, 2 hours away, will have a shuttle there
to pick us up.  Transportation once at the site is another story.  Me, I
would never take advantage of a bus service, taxi's are too expensive.
Subways are ok, I guess.  I am more inclined to rent a car.  However,
again, check the hotel where you will be staying..many times they have
a shuttle service to various points in that city.  I know all the hotels
in Reno/Sparks offer this service and I believe, Las Vegas does too.  At
least they did when I was there for ComDex several years ago.

I think the bigggest issue might be whether or not the hotel would allow
ferrets to stay there...Obviously, California is out, as is New York
City, but...elsewhere, one might check if you are planning to take your
fuzzy brat with you.

MC, The Rude One
With Bancho, Artemus, and Squeekers.  In spirit, Bubba, Billy-Bob,
Garret, Snorkle, and Tuzigoot.