From:
Richard & Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 17:57:18 -0400
Yesterday, I posted that the House had passed the ferret rabies/quarantine
bill unanimously (116-0).  On Thursday, the Senate passed it unanimously
(38-0).  Only the Governor's signature remains.  The Act will be effective
1/1/99 (requiring the rabies vaccination).  The portion addressing the
quarantine period will take effect 3/1/99.  It amends s828.30, Fla.
Statutes, which is the dog/cat rabies quarantine bill.  As an aside, the
Bill had the full support of the State Health Department.  If they had
fought this, it probably wouldn't have passed.  This was the year.  They
went from a non-committal position (leaving it up to local health
departments) to recommending the quarantine after the CDC Compendium was
published.

A few House members put an amendment on the Bill to be cute.  Since they all
voted for it, I think we can forgive them.  And, it really is kinda funny,
in retrospect.  Here 'tis for your reading enjoyment.  The funny part is
that this had to be read every time the Bill was read on the floor.  As
someone said, they probably won't forget this bill for a long time.

(7) Spray painting ferrets will only be allowed on that day in which the
    University of Florida plays Florida State University in football.

(8) High diving ferret acts in which the ferret is diving over three feet
    are now unlawful.

(9) Providing for a ferret curfew.  No ferret under the age of one year
    will be outside between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. unless
    accompanied by an owner or a ferret over the age of three.

(10) Providing that it is unlawful for any ferret while being detained by a
     human, and with intent to harass, annoy, threaten, or alarm a person
     who is detaining said ferret, to cause or attempt to cause such human
     to come into contact with regurgitated food, or saliva, whether by
     throwing, tossing, or expelling such fluid or material.  Any ferret who
     violates this paragraph commits battery, a felony of the third degree.

(11) All ferrets in the state of Florida will receive a sales tax exempt
     status on dental and orthodontal work as provided in s. 120.04.

12) Providing that ferrets be considered an adult when driving in a high
    density traffic lane on state highways.

Now, don't get all huffy.  It was done in fun, and the 3 representatives who
wrote this voted for the Bill, both in the House Agriculture Committee and
on the House floor.  I think they were just trying to have some fun with
Representative Futch (the House sponsor).

Just had to share the good news.  This happened because of the diligence of
a handful of people with the Brevard Ferret Lovers Rescue.  We all need to
thank DD, Kevin, Susie, Mina, and, most of all...Marie.  There are others
whose names I can't recall (or don't know).  They did all of the hard work
over about 2-3 years.  And, of course, we have to thank Representative
Howard Futch and Senator Howard Forman for their sponsorship.  It finally
all came together.  I guess this sounds like my acceptance speech at the
Academy Awards.

Katharine