From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 14:03:26 -0400
I promised to tell you more about the new canine distemper vaccine which
needs YOUR HELP if it is going to become available.

In testing at the National Zoo it was not associated with allergic
reactions.

Within a memo to Bruce Williams (possibly the world's best ferret
pathologist) Dr. Dick Montali who is the head of the Pathology Department
at the National Zoo wrote:

>Recently, Merial Ltd.  in Athens, GA has successfully marketed a
>multivalent vaccine for dogs (Recombitek series) containing a recombinant
>(canary pox vectored) canine distemper vaccine component which is not
>infectious.  In 1997, Merial provided the recombinant distemper component
>as an experimental monovalent vaccine to the American Association of Zoo
>Veterinarians' (AAZV) vaccine committee for clinical trials in a number
>of carnivore species.  Challenge-results in ferret-crosses showed the
>recombinant vaccine to be entirely safe and efficacious, and
>seroconversion was acceptable in most of the zoo species vaccinated,
>including felids.

ut went on to add:

>According to Merial, this vaccine is supposed to be developed as a
>monovalent ferret product that could be used (off-label) for zoo
>carnivores.  But it is unclear when and if this will really happen.

stating that help is needed to make this product available.

Of Dr. Montali Bruce Williams wrote:
>Dick is a fine person as well as a veterinary pathologist of the highest
>order

continuing to strongly urge that the ferret community use the power of
their numbers to get this vaccine marketed.

This vaccine appears to hold important promise for the very large ferret
market since they have not been seeing anaphylactic reactions in the
ferrets but have seen protection, and have not seen canine distemper
caused by the vaccine in the ferrets nor in the zoo exotics.

Getting this vaccine developed for the pet market could save ferret lives
and those of a number of zoo animals.  If you have ever been through having
a ferret with bad reaction, or had to leave a ferret unprotected due to a
past severe reaction -- risking canine distemper which is a horrific
illness, or had a ferret die from a reaction, or simply want to have the
chance to protect your ferret with the reaction risk lowered then PLEASE,
WRITE NOW!  If you are a vet who wants this option, PLEASE, WRITE NOW
(preferably) on letterhead and get other ferret-experienced or
exotic-knowledgeable vets to also write!

The person who needs to receive your letters and to be convinced that
the market exists for this product is:

Dr. Zack Mills
Director of Marketing
Merial Ltd.
115 Transtech Drive
Athens, GA 30601

THE FERRET YOU SAVE BY WRITING THIS LETTER MAY BE YOUR OWN!

Sukie

P.S. Please, let your clubs and other groups know about this so that
the members can also write.  Hope exists now that this option exists;
let's make sure it doesn't get shelved!  YOUR letter could be the one
which turns the tide.