From:
Win Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 07:56:18 EST
On the first weekend in May, the Detroit Zoo will be hosting a great many
shelters for the weekend to have a pet adoption program.  This year, when
we asked to have a table for our new rescue group (Michigan Ferret Rescue
and Adoption Network) we were told that we could not have live ferrets at
the event.  Well, that was OK.  We could at least have a table and hand out
information on ferrets and information as to where ferrets could be seen
and adopted.  Then we were advised that we couldn't even have a table or
hand out literature.  We were told by the Zoo Administration that if we
were allowed to have the table or hand out literature at this event, "it
would look like the zoo administration condoned the keeping of ferrets as
pets or companions." "Ferrets are wild, exotic and not domesticated" we
were told.

Needless to say, I wrote the Zoo director, Mr. Ron Kagan, and told him of
my displeasure with the statements of his Public Relations director.  I
also gave him a brief history of the Ferret.  I have not had a reply and it
has been over a week since the letter was sent.  I am also a 11 year member
of the zoo.

Should any one be interested in filling their email slot with mail or
sending Mr. Kagan snail mail, the address' for both are as follows:

Email   [log in to unmask]

Snail mail    Detroit Zoo
              PO Box 8237
              Royal Oak, MI 48068-8237