From:
Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 20:31:12 +1000
[2 posts combined]

>From:    K Fox <[log in to unmask]>

>There are many veterinarians, especially in this area who think that the
>ADV is a great big panic button.

This is common.  This is the "old" way of thinking.  But the old ADV has
changed.

>I personally think that the labs selling the tests think they've found a
>way to make bookoo bucks on us ferret lovers.

This is common thought as well.  I had my own vet tell me this.  BUT it
isn't something new.  United was testing for ADV in ferrets at least in
the early 1990's and probably even before.  Did you know that GCFA
newsletters from the early 1990's have boarding facilities advertising
that a negative ADV status before they could be boarded??  I just
recently found those in old issues borrowed from a local club.

>I think it is up to the individual to protect their ferrets from
>exposure.

I agree.  The same goes for any pet or even yourself and you human kids.
Be responsibe for yourself and that which s in your care.  Don't blame
others.  You alone are responsilbe for their well being.

>I think the ADV thing is a serious illness that has been blown out of
>proportion.

I don't agree with this statement.  I don't think it has been talked
about enough.  I don't think people are aware enough.

>Yes Distemper is a horrible way to die but did you know that the
>vaccination for cats only protects against one of MANY strains of
>distemper?

The same goes for other canine and feline diseases - one strain
protection.  What is your point RE ADV?

>All of this mandatory testing for show admission is ruining the fun of
>it all AND there's no guarantee of accuracy.

They have the same sort of issues at other species' shows.  Horses can
get EIA and are tested with a Coggins test for it - but they can contract
it after the test.  The list goes on.  People still show these animals
and with little exposure.  BUT they don't let others handle their animals
nor do they let their animals investigate other animals, people or animal
faeces.  It is common sense to not allow this.

>Be especially careful when going to big ferret events and handling pet
>store ferrets.  Disinfect before you handle your own.  Disinfect all
>bedding and such before exposing your ferrets to them.  Trust no one to
>be as safe as you are.

Exactly right.

> From:    Gabrielle Lastname <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I understand that people are very attached to their ferrets (I know I
>am!!) and that there is a lot we don't understand about ADV.  In light
>of the very limited resources of the ferret shelters, the shortage of
>available homes, and limited resources of all ferret lovers, I believe
>that it is important for shelters to euthanize ADV+ ferrets.  Part of
>owning and loving ferrets is working to improve the lives, health, and
>longevity of ferrets as a species.  And allowing healthy ferrets to be
>exposed to or infected by ADV+ ferrets is not going to help the lives,
>health, or longevity of ferrets as a species.

I agree 100%.  Even tho it is hard to do, I believe positives should be
put down.  The ADV + shelters (the angels that they are) face a hard
time for funding, volunteers, and placements.

>Given the proclivity that most ferret owners have for owning many
>ferrets, and the longevity of the virus, it is vital that we do not allow
>ADV to spread.  This is a virus that has the capability to infect many,
>many ferrets.  The destruction of the American ferret population is not
>out of the question.

Absolutely.

>From:    Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Here is one last thing to think about.  My vet has decided that all
>surgical patients should probably be tested for ADV before surgery,
>because of the additional risks involved in doing surgery on an ADV+
>ferret.  One of the effects ADV can have on a ferret is to inhibit the
>production of one of the clotting agents in the blood.  Because it is
>not the platelets, this is not a change that will show up in a CBC or
>the normal blood panels usually done by vets before surgery.  Yet, when
>surgery is done, if the problem exists, the ferret can easily bleed to
>death.  We learned about this the hard way, when I had 2 of my ADV+ hobs
>neutered.

This is wonderful.  I wish all vets would do this!

>From:    K Fox <[log in to unmask]>

>>As far as the distemper and vaccine part of the post, it is
>>irresponsible and ridiculous.

>If you feel that way then you should inquire with your vet.  5 strains
>of Distemper.  The vaccine protects against ONE.  FACT.

For cat or ferret?  If for ferret, please, would a vet post on this
subject?
[Moderator's note: Dr. Williams posted on this yesterday (via a
cross-post from the FHL).  BIG]

>From:    K Fox <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Other countries don't see the same high incidents of health related
>problems in ferrets.  Gee, ya think something is wrong with this picture??

Actually - they see a bit more than you think.  Australia, for instance,
has seen adrenals and insulnimas.  I have seen several in my little town.
I have seen them and the owners and vets don't ANY idea what is wrong
with them.  And some of them don't care.  Or they just crack them over
the head and bury them in the back garden.  People overseas *do* desex
at a later age and some vaccinate with canine 4-way shots.  How good is
that?  That has FOUR other diseases in there that ferrets don't even get -
one being parvo.  Harmless?  I think not.  Why not use just a distemper
vaccine?  Because most vets don't order them as dog people just do the
4-way.  Some vets won't special order them, either.  Other countries have
their own problems.