Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 22:31:34 +0000
Most definitely!  I think it is an excellent idea to get two together but
my suggestion is to check with the local shelters first and foremost.  My
personal reasons for getting two are simple and basic: as hard as I try I
just can't be a ferret.  I'm way too big and I smell all wrong.  I don't
have fur all over my body and I'm just not able to run on all fours and
hump my back and do that crazy little dance they do!  (Well, I'll admit
that I've tried but was lucky enough not to land up in intensive care!) I
can't play chase down the carpet tube, and I can't hide under the
furniture.  I can't sneak attack feet from behind the mandarin orange box
and I can't go swimming in the toilet!  I'm not in the habit of tongue
cleaning anyone's ears or other regions, and I'm just too big to fit into
the sock drawer.  Oh, and there is no way that I can squeeze under a
closed door.

I see many people who have companion animals of a single nature and always
try to convince them that they should get another - not only for the reason
of compatible companionship but for the one I stated above.  Ferrets, like
other companion animals, need the kind of play and attention that only
others of their kind can give.  I know that there are plenty of single
ferret homes and some are on this list... I'm not saying that they love
their ferrets any less than the rest of us who are multiple ferret homes,
but after adopting many "single" ferrets and integrating them into our
group, I can tell you that they seem more complete.  They are extremely
social animals and all the love and attention that I could possible give
them cannot replace another soft, furry body to latch onto and curl up to
sleep with.  These single ferrets seem to enjoy their new friends and when
they don't have one to buddy up to, well, that's when I get to be the
surrogate.  I prefer to have pairs but unfortunately at this time I have an
odd number.  The sisters stick together and the boys stick together and
Bear is still without a buddy.  She hasn't quite worked out all the details
with the sisters but in the meantime, I'm still looking... In the past I
have had groups of 3, 4 and 5 buddy around together.  I am sure that more
is possible as this list will reveal.

Of the people that I know of that have single ferrets, they tell me that
they are more affectionate because they have only their human counterpart
for companionship.  To that I say, consider this: would you want to spend
10 hours at home alone with no other companion?  I would personally be
happy to see anyone at the end of 10 hours regardless of whether I was
sleeping all that time or not.  Of course I will lavish you with all sorts
of attention but is that the real reason for having a single ferret?  Take
into consideration their own well being and I think that you will know what
the answer will be.

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur

To my ferts: Thank you for showing me the true nature of ferretdom.  I wish
I could be as sly and as wicked as you and still have such an innocent look
on my face.