From:
Jacqueline Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:51:34 -0700
Hi,

We have a ferret who is tiny, underweight, had severe adrenal disease, and
kept going into insulin shock.  She has insulinoma, and we thought she'd
die before now.  Last week the vet added diazoxide to her medications.  The
change is astounding.  She hasn't gone into shock since then, and she's
actually even playing this morning.  Hadn't seen that in a while!
Apparently, the drug lowers insulin production.  It isn't a cure for
insulinoma, but if we can fatten her up a bit and gether stabilized, then
it may be possible to do surgery and try to debulk the pancreas.  That
may not be possible, but even if it isn't, this medicine has dramatically
improved her quality of life.  Thought you folks dealing with this disease
might like to know that.

J.