From:
Alicia K Drakiotes / Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 22:40:22 -0500
this message is for Mason and others who may have a ferret that fits the
profile of Slinky ---

Let me first say Mason, I am not a vet, however I am a shelter Mom and have
seen these symptoms before...

The grinding, sandpaper noise you describe is most likely grinding of the
teeth...  given the circumstances poor Slinky is most likely upset, stressed
thus a pre ulcer or ulcer state is not out of the question.  This may very
well be why he is not eating....  Continue with the softened duck soup
mixture you may also want to check with your vet on the administration of
either carafate or sucralfate ...  this is used to protect the lining of the
stomach so that they can tolerate eating, sometimes this is also combined
with an amoxydrop to combat any heliobacter in the stomach.

About the wobbling -- I wuold guess that this is mostly duen to the fact
that Slinky is NOT consuming enough food to keep him going thus causing a
weakness in the hind quarters...  remember if you do not eat for several
days you begin to feel weak too and that is a LONG body to support when you
feel crappy...  In the meantime force feed him every couple of hours and
Agaqin consult your vet or another vet on the possibility of using something
to aid in the upset stomach

Slinky should show some positive signs in 2 to 3 days if this is working
at all.

Remember to give Slinky plenty of lap time too...  this is sometimes the
best medicine --- but combine it with your vets suggested treatment Don't
hesitate these guys don't last long when they are deprived of nutrition and
fluids.  Good luck

Alicia