From:
Jeb Weisman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1992 20:42:15 EST
From the folks at GEnie Pet-Net RT:

Referencing Tater's toilet training:
      What brand of litter is being used?  The best is plain clay or those
sand brands - no perfumes please! Litterbox:
      1)  Put ferret sample in clean box.
      2)  Wake up a ferret.
      3)  Hold the ferret for 5 minutes.
      4)  Put ferret in litter box.
      5)  Keep putting ferret in litterbox until duty is accomplished.
      6)  Reward ferret with linatone or a raisin.
      Repeat with next ferret and each time ferrets are brought out to
 play. They will automatically head for the box just to get a reward,

so make sure they do their thing first.  The little boogers are
 tricky! Does that all make sense?  this is a saved file of mine since it is
such a common problem..   no guarantees though.  House training a ferret is
difficult. It is better to cage train them and let them out to play when you
are home. Good luck and please forward this........       Pam
========================

        Another trick to litter training a ferret is that you need to have
more than one letter tray.  Actually, the more the better. Any corner where
you can hide a tray is fair game.

Beach-Bum

WE made the switch a number of years ago to a folded sheet(s) newspaper in the
corners as our 5 are "free-ranging." We found it was alot faster and easier to
deal with the papers than litter (as at the time I started I had cats and
didn't want to totally confuse the poor old dears!). The ferrets take to it
readily (used same in their cage). Even the newcomers seem to take to it
quickly as well.

Ann