From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 17:54:45 -0600
This is in response to a rather large number of e-mails I have recieved
concerning my post about the California Fish and Gestapo.  I mentioned she
knew of me by the nickname "Mo' Bob." Most of the mail mentioned a concern
that F&G monitored the FML.  This isn't the first time such a concern has
been raised regarding the F&G; if you remember, last year I was getting
anonymous mail from someone who claimed to be part of the F&G, and went by
the name J.  Young (I wrongly blasted Jim Young for it, but we have since
become good friends.) Do I think some F&G people read the FML?  Sure, either
by direct subscription, or by obtaining copies from people who do.  After
all, the FML is advertised all over the net, and is easy for anyone to find.
Each one of us found it.

Should the F&G members be kicked off?  NO NO NO!!!  That is why BIG has
people from FFZs post anomymously; to protect them from Big Brother's roving
eye.  I feel I would rather know who is watching me rather than not knowing
at all, and kicking some members off would only make them think we have
stuff to hide.  Besides, they would only find a way to get on under another
name, or from another server.  Its pointless.

Also, and this speaks for a lot of us, knowledge that is hoarded is wasted.
I feel it is the moral responsibility for those who know things to freely
share that knowledge with others.  That is a concept shared by many on the
FML; I'm certainly not the only one who answers the same questions over and
over again.  We all do.  If we reserve knowledge to ourselves, then we are
guilty of violating that trust.  If we do it for political reasons, then we
suffer the same narrow-mindedness of our opponents.

However, if the Gestapo is hiding among us, and we know it, perhaps our
discussions can convince them of their lack of knowledge.  It certainly
can't hurt, and if those in FFZs take the proper precautions, then it isn't
a problem at all.  I urge the members of the FML not to get paraniod, nor to
suspect the F&G behind every rock, and to go on with the wonderful limericks
and bumper stickers, the great advice, the heart-warming stories, and the
heated flames.

On another subject, I got a number of e-mails concerning pet mink.  It is
true that I painted a nasty view of pet mink, but then, I had some as pets
so have a personal knowledge.  Like most animals, if obtained early enough,
and handled enough, they can TAME quite well, but they are STILL wild and
untrustworthy in their responses.  Also, most wild animals requiring rescue
are not lost "tamed-pets," but are in fact, quite wild.  Because of the
injury or illness, they can act quite docile, only to go nuts later.
Interestingly enough, my worst mink encounters occurred with ranch mink,
which can be quite vicious.  I had one bite my little finger down to the
bone and wouldn't let go.  (Ever hear that cartilage-crunch and feel a
sudden warm sensation travel up your nerve?  Oooooo!) Most ranch mink are
kept solitary (to protect the fur) and are rarely handled (if at all) before
they are undressed (so to speak), and so are quite wild and easily
frightened.  Not a good combo if you ask me.

I have friends with pet otters, one with three pet beaver, and still others
with pet wolves, cougars, one has a four bison, etc.  One person I know
raises animals for zoos, and another raises primates and carnivores for
reintroduction into the wild.  In almost every case, the animals are
completely or mostly tamed, but they are still quite dangerous, and are
treated as such.  A good friend in Wisconsin lost part of his left hand and
(external) ear to one of his African lions; one he had raised from a cub,
and until the attack never caused any trouble.  My pet mink would follow me
like a ferret, allow me to pick them up and to even pet them somewhat, but I
learned to NEVER get between them and the food dish.  Not healthy.  They
were also quite frightened of anyone but myself, and my dad has a scar on
his ankle from an encounter with one of my wild-but-tamed pets.  I also have
numerous scars on my hands and lower arms from these beautiful and playful
creatures; most given unexpectantly.

I stand by my advice for ferret shelters to decline mink or weasel rescues,
allowing the appropriate wildlife agency/rescue to do their job.  If you are
so hot to trot to have a pet mink, then get a suckling infant from a
breeder, and hand raise it.  And buy lots of bandaids.  Think about
insurance.

Missouri Bob and the 17 Fertsters of Mirth