From:
Cynthia Obrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:46:49 -0400
RE: response to post on "SHELTERS IN NEW JERSEY"
(Original post was looking for a NJ shelter to take her elderly,
possibly-adrenal pair of ferrets)

Cheryl from South Jersey's Shelter & Sanctuary replied, in part:

>I have over 70 ferrets that were given up because of either an instantly
>formed allergy, moving into a no pet residence or the ferret needs care
>or attention and I or my family doesn't want to pay for it or give it to
>him.

Wow!  Cheryl, this part of your reply jumped out at me because on
Saturday I adopted two fuzzies whose owner became "allergic" after
having them for fifteen months.

She had an ad in the paper for several weeks two months ago, trying to
sell them for $200.  I called her because the ad had run for so long and
told her I couldn't pay her for them, but if she was unable to find a
home for them, I could give them a good home: their own bedroom, homemade
chicken gravy twice a day, lots of free-roam play time, and three wild
and crazy brothers.

Out of the blue, she called me last week and asked if the offer to take
them was still good.  I reiterated I couldn't pay her for them but would
give them a good home.  On Saturday she came, said "here's the ferrets"
and then bolted.  I had to follow her out to her car to ask her any
questions at all.  She did bring their cage with them, but no toys,
litter boxes, and NO vet records (the fourth time I asked, she admitted
there weren't ANY vet records because they'd never been to a vet!).  Good
thing I didn't pay her for them because on Monday morning I paid the vet
$162 for exams, shots, and ADV tests.  They were fine except for being
underweight from having been fed cat food their entire lives.

The new boys don't know how to dook and dance or ferret-wrestle, but
their new siblings are determined to teach them.  I've got them slurping
chicken gravy like old pros, and hope to have the cat food phased out of
the picture as soon as possible.  One of them not only doesn't know what
a litter box is, he doesn't even seem to know what a corner is for!  He
just goes wherever he is, but he seems to be learning by watching.  I
gotta wonder if his habit of going in doorways might have helped
"trigger" his ex-owner's allergy!

I've been amazed at how quickly the new two have integrated with my
existing three.  No fighting or alpha-struggles.  After their morning
out-time today, I found them all in a big pile in their bedroom closet
filled with fleece blankets.  I had to count heads and tails to make sure
they were all there.  It warmed my heart because I know these boys are
better off here with me and their new brothers.  Love & hugs, chicken
gravy and wrestling lessons were what they really needed!  And, now,
they've found it!

Yeah, I know, Ferret Math strikes again!

Cindy and the fuzzy quints: Cocoa, Sugar, Butter, and introducing, Bailey
and Willow

p.s.  I thank God I live in a part of the country where the vets will
work with you on payments for expensive procedures, will hold checks
until payday, and generally will put the pets above the bottom line,
as long as the owner sincerely tries to fulfill their obligations.