From:
Todd & Angela Preimesberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 1996 19:49:48 -0500
About collars.  I don't really open up another debate on them, but I still
want to express my concern on a few things I am hearing.  You don't have to
have a nylon collar or such.  Try other methods.  Here's one - Duncan's has
an allergy to nylon collars.  Yesterday, I went to the dollar store and
picked up a three pack of thin stretchy hair ponytails.  They can stretch to
enormous widths but stay on the fuzzits.  Sew a couple of bells on, add a
very lightweight name tag and Voila!  Safe, non-irritating, non-hazardous
collar.  I put one on each of my babies and we both like them better.  Gumbi
tears up a nylon collar about every three weeks and spending $1 every month
and a half as compared to $3.95 makes a difference.

Please put a collar on your baby.  Ferrets escape out of houses, windows,
cars, harnesses.  It only takes one time and then your baby is gone,
possibly forever.  Unlike cats and dogs, they can not adapt to the outdoors.
They will die a long and very PAINFUL death from starvation and disease.
Nobody wants that for their babies.  Please put a collar on your babies.  If
you can't find a cheap stretchy hairbow, please email me and I will mail you
a couple free.  I'll even sew bells on it.  If you believe conventional
collars are hazardous, try alternate methods.  Make your own.  Visit the
craft store, use your imagination.

A collar identifies your ferret as A PET, not a wild animal.  Even without a
name tag, someone will be more likely to pick it up or call the authorities.
You may get your ferret back.  A name tag with your phone number will
improve your chances.

One of my babies is a stray, he was found wandering around town without a
collar or name tag.  He was almost put to sleep by the authorities.  I am
very glad he has came to our home and added his love to it.  I feel so very
sorry for the family who lost him.  Eventhough we think he was not treated
right, he was probably loved.

Angela
Gumbi, who is feeling better now
Duncan, who is also a tub-loving boy.