From:
petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 23:18:04 -0500
Lisette posted:
>May Day May Day
>Greater Chicago Ferret Association sent their 'Off the Paw' newsletter out,
>and according to their letter they are in BIG trouble.  They are doing
>something they have tried Not to do all the years they have been open:
>They are telling people that they have NO room to take their ferrets!!!!.
>!!!!!!!    !!!!!!!!  !!!!!!!!!   !!!!!!!!    !!!!!!!!! !!!!    !!!!!!!! !!!

Well, yes, they are overfull, but without wanting to throw any stones or
start any wars, maybe they need to rethink their adoption policies, and
start promoting themselves a little more.  We are a shelter in St. Louis,
and are getting ferrets from Chicago that they can't take.  We are MUCH
smaller than GCFA, don't have the nice storefront, etc., and I have to say
that we have taken in almost as many ferrets this year as they say they
have in their most recent newsletter.  We got a family of 10! from a woman
in Northern Illinois who was referred to us by GCFA, because they were
full.  We have plenty of ferrets needing to be rescued in our area,
especially since we're starting to get some from the local Humane Societies
and Animal Control people, and although I don't want to turn away ferrets,
we cannot keep taking the overflow from Chicago.  I know that when people
on this list get together, that they can help, and maybe some shelters that
have waiting lists can help GCFA with their overflow.  (On the other hand,
the first time we went up to Chicago, they didn't want us to take any of
the ferrets that were already in the shelter - just new turn ins.  "It
would break their (the volunteers) hearts."

And I agree with Lisette - grow your furry family by adoption!  All of
these kids are waiting to be loved!  And we will travel a fair distance to
deliver ferrets (although I think it will be a while before we go up to
Virginia and visit Zen again).

Kurt & Sara Petersen
FURRY (Ferrets Underfoot RUnning Round You)
http://members.igateway.net/~furry

Help raise money for the shelter!  Click on
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=5129