From:
Alexandra Sargent-Colburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:33:38 +0000
Dear Ferret Folks-

Yesterday, Mike wrote:

>Most of our Ferrets are really good at getting to the litter pan but
>it seems they are getting less and less concerned with being in the
>litter pan when they do their business. Sometimes one of them (not
>sure which one for sure) does it in the middle of the room.
>
>Does anyone have any insight on why this is occurring?

Several supremely unhelpful answers come to mind.

1) The middle of the room love-bomb means simply "Made you look!" It
is weasel humor. Most weasel humor is at about the third grade level.
Hence, "Ha ha! Made you look, hoomin! Sucker!"

2) There could be a deep, unaddressed yearning to play Twister. "Right
foot, red!" You could perhaps unroll a new plastic Twister board sheet
onto the floor here and there, and leave the spinner under a chair.
Deep in the night you will hear "Pss-pss-pss!" As the spinner goes
round, followed by a lot of high-speed scrambling.

3) *One* of your ferrets is an agitator, a weasel anarchist. He (or
she) has discovered the extent to which he can influence the others,
simply by putting it into their minds that they need no longer submit
to the tyranny of the litter box. There may well be an FLO "sleeper"
in your home. Good luck identifying him, though. They have nerves of
steel. They don't break under questioning, it's like "Semper Fi, only
think "Semper Fuzz."

I'm sure that didn't help you one bit, but you are welcome, anyway.

Alexandra in MA

Todd: "Semper Fuzz!"
Hebert: "Snicker-snicker-snicker!"