From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:01:17 -0400
Totally Ferret: they use high quality products, not the garbage mentioned.
It's a marvelous food.

MF: A recent problem happened with ferrets from ANOTHER location (NOT MF)
in one petstore.  It's a store which normally has MFs.  Know why they
didn't have MFs?  Because there is a backlog to get them.  Know why tere
aren't as many MFs as demand right now is calling for?  Because they are
actually being careful to NOT sned out very young ones.  Pete Reid of MF
has worked on this with multiple people, most often with Sharon Pease, and
a REAL impact has been made with REAL IMPROVEMENTS resulting.  BTW, there
have recently been three reports of MF ferrets thoght to be too young (only
three!!!!!) and of those ONLY ONE panned out as being 5 weeks at sending
rather than at least 6 weeks when dental age was checked by a vet.  ONLY
ONE!!!!!  Congratualtions, Pete and Sharon!!!!!!!!  Eventually it will be
none.

Also, to the person who was afraid that MFs get "more cancers".  There
isn't any evidence to this.  A survey found that in-shelter ferrets which
are MFs have a higher rate of adrenal tumors (neoplasias?  Hyperplasias? --
can't think clearly right now --, not "cancers" for the most part). Two
surveys of at-home ferrets found that MFs rates of illness were the same as
for other breeders.

Yes, there are improvemtns which are still needed, but MF hAS been trying.
Oh, on that score: if you are associated in ANY way with a veterinary
school remind them that MF offers retired breeeders for free to the
veterianry schools to teach neutering as long asd the school promises to
adupt them to good homes afterward.  We all hoep to eventulaly have enough
vet school involved that the brreeders will all find good homes that way
and vet students in any program will have at least some ferret experience.

Sorry this is a mess.  I am quite ill right now.  Pkease, don;t expect me
to get to e-mail.

Sukie