From:
Brandy Ashmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 13:06:55 -0600
Someone mentioned baby-sitting ferrets for people the other day.  My SO
and I have given this lots of thoughts but have some questions.

I have a room 10 X 13 feet set up for my two ferrets.  Only litter pans,
toys, cages, and linoleum squares for ferret scratches are in this room.  I
had a custom made gate like the weasel watcher made for them.  My oldest
can get out of the 26 inch so we got a 3 feet tall gate.

I thought having someone sign a release form incase they get sick I can
take them to the vet and they will have to pay for the vet bill.  My
problem I come across is things like ECE (green slime).  What if someone
brings a sick ferret over?  Is it a bad idea to do this because of that?
There may be other problems I hadn't thinking of.

I would like any ideas.  I am not sure if I want to do this, but if I do, I
will take very good care of the visitors.  I know how it is to not be able
to take your animals places with you and it would be comforting to have a
baby-sitter that has ferrets and knows how to take care of them.

Any time I have to go to a seminar I can't take ZeppLynn and Tusk with me
so my parents sit them.  They are the only people I trust with them when I
am not around.  One weekend we were going camping and it wasn't a situation
I could take the ferrets, and I DO NOT leave them at home alone, so.... I
kenneled them at my ferret knowledgeable vet.  The problem was when I got
back after 3 days my oldest was lethargic, suppressed appetite, no energy,
and worst his shiny eyes had dulled over.  I had only seen that when you
try to cage a wild animal.  I knew something was wrong so I called my vet.
He told me not to worry unless Zeppy was like that the next day.  He said
ZeppLynn missed me and what he was feeling was like jet lag.  I guess he
was right, because the next day Zeppy was fine.

So I will never do that again.  To help other ferret lovers in my area have
a warm home to keep their fuzzy babies, I would love to sit.  I just want
to know what problems I might have, and what precautions I need to take.
Or if this is a bad idea, please give me some facts on it.  I am waiting
for your reaction before my next move.

Brandy, ZeppLynn, Tusk, (the fert crew), Max (german shepherd), Sadie
(Rottweiler)