Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 09:57:43 -0500
Chere wrote: From:    Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>

Sean wrote:
>From:    Sawyer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: HSUS and Ferrets in ETI training
>I hope that I am reading your post correctly, but while HSUS (Humane
>Society of the United States) is considered a moderate and respected animal
>welfare organization that has done well in promoting animal welfare/rights,
>it isn't the same as the "local" Humane Society (a common misconception).
>To my knowledge, HSUS doesn't run any shelters.  If someone else has
>documentation otherwise, I would appreciate being notified.  Thanks.

If you will refer back to Chere's post you will see she did not suggest
HSUS did run shelters she stated that The people that attend run shelters--
this is exactly correct.  Hundreds of folks directors, volunteers,
technicians, animal control officers from shelters and police depts and
many more attend this seminar extravaganza to learn more on caring for all
kinds of animals from wildlife to herptiles and more.  This is a wonderful
event that offers a lot of resources for shelterers and the sheltering and
care giving side of the sheltering community.

As a former participant / speaker at HSUS EXPO on the ferret sheltering
platform I want to clarify - or attempt to clarify this for you Sandy.  No,
HSUS does NOT run any shelters.  They are in fact an umbrella organization
who spearhead / coordinate educational, informational campaigns to aid
those who do run shelters.

They have several years back made a statement that ferrets should be
considered domestic pets, however they have never urged any of the humane
societies to provide shelter for them.  These are just the facts.

It is also my understanding that HSUS also supports US humane societies
by reverting back a percentage of donations they receive off the ( that
particulars shelters mailing list and I may be wrong with the actual
connection of donation but ...).  This works here in NH for the humane
societies -- however not for our Ferret Shelter, which is part of the NH
Federation..  not sure why -- perhaps our mailing list/ donor base is not
large enough to muster HSUS support!  But enough of that--- the HSUS Expo
program is strictly educational- promoting all aspects of sheltering from
grant writing, to publishing newsletters, to hands on care, dealing with
shelter epidemics and more----!  Perhaps you should sit in on a session
or two?

I hope this helps clarify both the event and the HSUS involvement ( I am
sure I have only touched the outer edge of HSUS!).

Alicia

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html