From:
"Voorhees, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:03:24 -0400
In researching the colloidal silver issue I cam across an article written
by Dr. Andrew Weil.  The most interesting thing is that this doctor is
normally a proponent of medically untested/unregulated cures.  For him to
come down so hard on colloidal silver is indicative of what "snake oil" it
really is.  Some of the salient points in his letter are:

1. There is a Vet who pitches colloidal silver and is said to have been
nominated for the Nobel Prize in medicine.  ANYONE CAN BE NOMINATED FOR A
NOBEL PRIZE.  All you have to do is write a letter.  (I am currently
writing one nominating myself on my research into the virtues of boiled Yak
fat).  This is typical slim ball pseudo-scientific marketing.

2. There is no convincing evidence that silver does anything positive and
some evidence that it has negative effects.  (Sure you gave Muffy silver
and she go better.  MAYBE JUST MAYBE SHE WAS GOING TO GET BETTER ANYWAY).

3. The only people gaining anything are the people selling it.

To see the article in full go to:

http://www.pathfinder.com/drweil/archiveqa/0%2C2283%2C252%2C00.html

Silver is pitched as curing anything from toe nail fungus to HIV.  Makes
you wonder doesn't it?  Next wonder about the other things those companies
are selling.  I personally recommend boiled Yak Fat.  I have a Yak Fat
distilling machine for sale at a discount.  Anyone interested?  It is the
latest craze.  Yak Fat has not been shown to do anything by anyone but if
you are going to through you money away on silver and harm your animal by
withholding medically valid treatments while you listen to purveyors of
unproved worthless folk lore I might as well cash in also.

Bruce and Critter
Bruce R. Voorhees
Senior Engineer
SCH Technologies