From:
"Cahill, Cathy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:51:25 +1100
Hi

This is my first time posting to this site.

I was wondering if anyone had come across a ferret that had died as a
result of Renal Amyloidosis.

I lost my little man of ten months old on the 30th September this year.
I took time off work to be with him because I had that sinking feeling
that he was not long of this world.  I cuddled him right up until he took
his last few breaths and told him it was ok to go across the bridge and
that Uncle Harry would be waiting for him.  Hamlet lost his short battle
for life at 2pm.  He lost over one third of his body weight in a week,
within two days of his death became very wobbly on his back legs and
anemic.  His autopsy which I stayed and watched came back from pathology
that it was familial renal amyloidosis.  I know it can be common in
certain cat and dog breeds and even humans , but I can not find anything
in regards to ferrets.

Another of his brothers went the same way, but an autopsy was not done.
The vet suggested that it was renal failure.

Does anyone have any information on this disease?

I miss him terribly, but memories are forever and as one leaves it opens
a place for a ferret that needs a home and love.

Miss you big boy.

Cathy from Perth Australia