From:
"M. Max" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 06:12:06 -0500
From:    Becki Kain <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: baby food vs whipping cream
>...I have started him on .1ml prednisonne, along with chromium based in
>brewers yeast.  The reason for the whipping cream is to cover the taste of
>the whipping cream, but also to give him more calories.  Would it be better
>if I put this in meat baby food (and better being defined as more
>calories)?  I am hoping to "expand" his stomach so he eats more TF.  He is
>eating and drinking on his own, but he is still a thinner guy than I would
>like.

Beckers and others,
I mix 6 jars baby food meat, 2 jars (larger size) baby food sweet potatoe, 6
egg yolks (no whites), and enough oil and cream to make it soupy.  Sometimes
I add softened ferret food.  To this you can add any vitamin or other
supplements.  The whole thing goes into the blender and then into ice cube
trays and into the freezer.  Wrap the tray in plastic wrap to prevent
freezer burn.  This makes about 2 ice trays worth and keeps just fine.  My
guy gets one cube (sometime two - morning and evening) per day every day of
his life.  I deforst the cube in the microwave just enough to melt.  Too
much and the egg coagulates and makes the mix too solid for his tastes.  He
has ad lib dry food in his bowl all of the time.  He is a very healthy 7
year old.

The only concern might be the raw egg yolk.  If you don't like the idea of
that, combine yolks and cream (you will have to add more cream) in a sauce
pan and cook through before adding to the rest of the ingrediants in the
blender.

By itself, the baby food meat doesn't appeal to him and I think the cream
alone is probably too rich.  By adding the sweet potatoe you add enough
fiber to make for good poops and the taste of the sweet potatoe is what
makes the whole thing work for him.  Carrot baby food or even banana might
be a good alternative as well.  This mix gives a good combination of protein
and fat with just a little sweet so it will provide a long burning fuel
(rather than just a quick jolt) which will be better for preventing blood
sugar fluctuations for your insulinoma guy.

Good luck, Max

BTW - weird ferret reference from my Orchid digest online.  Nancy is
speaking about whether greenhouse reared orchids will lose their ability to
survive in the wild.

>You've hit upon something here.  Basically, the genes should stay the same
>and therefore, the plants should be t same, but are they in some way subtly
>altered by a more perfect, less stressful (one would hope) environment?
>Are the plants which have been GH raised for generations less able to adapt
>and survive in the natural environment.  Is this something like a ferret
>which while it appears wild, is totally unable to fend for itself when
>released to the wild?
>Nancy L. Breckenridge
[email address removed...  BIG]

I don't recognize her name, but I bet she is on this list too.  Gotta take
every opportunity to get that message out!!!

Max