From:
Mary Zahnle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 21:39:18 EDT
I couldn't help but post this after seeing the post about the horrible
conditions at a PetCo here in Illinois.  I've never been a fan of the
bigger chains selling ferrets, and have reservations about the smaller ones
selling the fuzzies.  Since I work at PetsMart, and we recently started
selling hamsters and such, and hope and pray they never decide to sell
ferrets.  If they do consider such a thing I will be the first one on the
phone to the corporate offices.

With that said, perhaps the time has come for a letter writing campaign.
In a recent issue of the F.A.I.R.  Report, published by Ferret Adoption
Information and Rescue here in Illinois was an article about stopping
impulse pet sales, and a sample letter that could be sent to the powers
that be at PetCo.

It would take up a lot of space to put the whole thing up here on the list,
but if enough people are interested, and BIG didn't object, I'd be more
than happy to take the time and pass the info on to the list.

The article did state the the House Rabbit Society was successfully able to
appeal to PetCo to stop the sales of rabbits, so who knows, we might be
able to bring about a change.

Let me know folks!  I plan on sending out letters!

Mary Zahnle

[Moderator's note: Feel free to send the article and I'll see if it is
reasonable to fit in.  Assuming F.A.I.R. doesn't object to it being
republished, of course.  BIG]