From:
Tryntje Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 1997 17:03:11 -0500
Hello there!

I have been wanting to ask this question for a long time but in some ways I
was afraid that I would get flamed for asking such a silly question that had
such an obvious answer.  But I am going to ask anyway.

I know that natural lighting is best for any living creature.  In the house
that we live in now there is lots of natural light, except in the office
which is in the basement (lower level of a side split).  We have 10 ferrets
and a dog and some of our rooms are used exclusively for ferrets.  Because
not all of our fuzzies get along like they are supposed to, we are forced to
divide them up and give them their own quarters.  For example, One bedroom
is a ferret room for one group of fuzzies.  This room has lots of light.
One group is in the dining room (it is not a dining room anymore unless we
have company over for dinner and then they are moved to another room) and
they have lots of light.  One group is in the office which has only
artificial light.  These groups all have access to "their" rooms 24 hours a
day and they are also let out into the rest of the house in shifts during
the rest of the day but since we are not home all of the time, I feel that
the office group is short changed in the natural light department and am
concerned about this.  When they are in the office, they do have the lights
on (flourescent) during the day and evening until about 10:00 p.m.  so it is
not as if they are without any kind of light.  They are healthy and the
natural light deprivation doesn't seem to affect them but maybe it does.
Maybe there will be long term effects.

What I am even more concerned about is that we are hoping to move between
now and Spring.  We have to move into a smaller house because my husband had
been laid off and my hours have been cut and money (or should I say lack of
money) is forcing us to move.  We have been looking at places in our "price
range" and let me tell you, it isn't much and lighting is going to be a
potential problem.  Am I worrying too much?  How does natural light (or lack
of) affect our fuzzies?

I should add that all but one male is neutered and he may have to be fixed
within the next year.  Any input would be appreciated.

Tryntje Miller                   Net:[log in to unmask]
Conrad Grebel College Library    Tel: (519) 885-0220 ext. 239
Waterloo, Ontario                Fax: (519) 885-0014
N2L 3G6