From:
William Alan Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 12:40:03 -0500
Last time I discussed the head.  This time I'll talk about bon structure.

A ferret should have symmettrical bone structure.  The bi-lateral symmettry
is one of the more important things judges look for in most aspects of a
ferret.

The legs should be held under the body more than off to the side like a
lizard.  The feet should all be parallel to the body in rest position.

All leg and spine joints should be free moving.  Especially crucial to check
is the tail.  Fused vertebrae are too common in the tail - fused either in a
normal direction or with a distinct kink.  Certain coat color-patterns that
have been sought have unfortunately been associated with problems in the
tail.  Silvers, pandas and blazes are most prevalent with this problem.  The
ferret should stand with a humped back and the hump should be pretty close
to the middle of the back.  Some ferrets don't co-operate in this area so
judges have other tricks to check for kinks - my contract with AFA doesn't
permit me to divulge "how to judge" so I can only explain the standards that
are being checked.  The agreement is that I won't train as judges anyone not
accepted into the AFA judge's program.  I gave my word and I take that very
seriously.  Watch the judges at the next show you attend and you can pretty
much figure out how they work if you know what they're looking for.
Enterring the "first timers" type of classes is a good way to get an idea of
whats going on.

Highly desired is for the bones to "feel sturdy and dense".  Through
checking out numerous ferrets you can understand this.  Some feel light
weight and fragile.  Some feel like they have steel bones.  The legs, hips
and shoulders are important bones to look at.

The rib cage should be springy but not mushy.  Big and round (in proportion
to the rest of the ferret) is good.  It should be about as tall as wide.
There shouldn't be extra knobs on the sternum.  The rib cage will be smaller
toward the shoulder to permit the front legs to move.

Of course feel free to ask me more about this on or off of the FML.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets