Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 12:52:11 EST
Hi FMLer's

I just wanted to add a little to Gene's plea for help with his leasing
issue and the choices he is having to make.  I had the pleasure of
speaking with Gene & his wife for over an hour on this past Thur.  Gene
is in a tough spot- he has been a permanent "Foster" home for 7 ferrets,
all older ferrets with health issues.  When I spoke with Gene, my heart
went out to him, as he is does not want to place these special needs
ferrets in a shelter.  He is hoping for a miracle- and keep these old
guys.

I know that two or over 6yrs and have adrenal cancer.  One is older with
insulinoma and is on Pred.  One is older and is blind.  One is a rehabbed
biter.  I cannot recall the details on the others, but they are all older
ferrets with compromised health.

As the Director for the Richmond Ferret Rescue League, I did offer to
help Gene & his family (he is married with 2 children) any way that we
coud.  I also offered to board all 7 of his ferrets at no charge until
he could relocate, if this was a possibilty.  My biggest fear is that
if these older ferrets come into our shelter, they run a high risk of
developing bacterial-related diarrhea and could end up with severe ulcers
within 2-3 days.  "Shelter Shock" is a horrible problem that I think most
shelters have dealt with at one time or another.  It's qute heartbreaking
to have an older ferret come into the shelter and rapidly go downhill,
despite the excellent care they might be receiving.

Ferrets R #1 Shelter has also offered to take Gene's ferrets - They could
provide a better alternative by placing these older guys in loving homes
instead of a shelter.  Not all seven of these guys get along.  I
understand they are in 3 separate cages.  Ferrets r#1 can place these
needy guys in ferret-knowledgable homes that have little risk of
transmitting disease.

Unfortunately, Gene has to come to a tough decision that might be
heart-breaking for him- give up these older guys in THER best interest,
so that Gene can provide a home for himself and his family.  It might
not be the happiest solution, but probably the best in the long run.
Gene, his family and his ferrets are in our prayers.

Marlene Blackburn
Director / Richmond Ferret Rescue League / Richmond, VA.