From:
Dave Les <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 1996 18:10:45 +0500
Hello all my ferret-owned friends,

The GREAT LAKES FERRET ASSOCIATION is sponsoring their annual ferret show
this Saturday at the (Michigan) Ramada Inn (Metropolitan Airport).
Admission is $3 and there will be around 200 ferrets shown plus all of the
walk-in ferret spectators .  I can t imagine that much potential mayhem
housed under one roof - it should be great fun!!!  We will also have ferret
fun matches (tube races, paper bag escape, best dressed, and cup-of-ice
tipover).  Ferrets must have proof of vaccinations and pass a health check
before being admitted.  Please pass the word to anyone (MI, OH, IN, WI,
Canada) within driving distance of I-94 and Middlebelt (@ 4 miles east of
the intersection of I-94 &I-275 and @ 15 miles east of the intersection of
I-94 & US-23).

As some of you might remember, I put out a request for information on the
rabies kill and test policy that is in full effect in Michigan along with
many other states.  I have to thank all of the great FML ers who responded
with information.  I need to send out a special thanks to Dick Bossart who
sent me a 1 thick stack of relevant rabies literature.  I have contacted
many public officials as well as researchers in order to further acclimate
myself to the situation.  Anyone close to this situation knows that Dr.
Charles Rupprecht is a key player in that he is the chief of the rabies
section in the Center for Disease Control (CDC).  He is a proponent of a
risk assessment for bite situations and, in one of our discussions, he
expressed his concern over his perception of a lack of support from the
ferret community for rabies shedding studies conducted by Dr. Debbie Briggs
at the University of Kansas.  I have discussed this at length with Micki
Wingate (president G.L.F.A.) as well as a few of you FML ers and this is
what I would like to propose: If your financial condition permits, and if
your conscience tells you that this is the thing to do... Please send a
donation to along with a brief note of support to: Kansas State University
Foundation Ferret Shedding Study Dean of Veterinary Medicine 1800 Dennison
Manhattan, KS 66506

I was told by an insider that we are wearing down the opposition in the
association (NASPHV) that publishes the Rabies Compendiums.  That person
said that our professional (non-emotional), knowledgeable (fact filled) and
continuous bombardment is working.  Please don t let up but also let s not
ignore those allies that we have behind enemy lines.  Please help us stop
the senseless murder of our loved ones by the (possibly your state) Public
Health Department s ungrounded kill and test policy!  Even if you are lucky
enough to be in a state where there is a risk assessment or quarantine, we
all hurt along with Dayna and Foggy.  Can anyone imagine how it would feel
to have your loved one taken from you only to be tested negative for rabies
(they cut the ferrets head off to perform the test)?  ****Part of the
proceeds of the GLFA show this Saturday will be donated to the shedding
studies!!!***

I hope to see some of you at Saturday s show!

Dave & Debbie Les
Weazer, L.S., & White Fang
& 2CATZ

cc: