From:
Melody Tomaszewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 09:56:25 -0500
I would have sent this reply just to you, but you were anonymous, so I'm
responding to the list.  I wouldn't use any kind of chips on the bottom
of the cage.  It does make it easier to keep clean, but in my opinion it
confuses the ferrets into thinking that the whole cage is one big
litterbox.  Then when they come outside the cage, your FLOOR is one big
litterbox.  We have a lovely blaze boy who spent way too much time in
such a cage at the pet store.  There was a litterbox in the enclosure,
but he has NEVER gotten the concept of a litter box at all.  I've given
up on trying to teach him.

The bottom of my cages have always had either carpet, or vinyl flooring,
with carpet on the ramps for ease in climbing.  I put bedding on the
floor, because sometimes they do like sleeping there.  Bedding is squares
of polar fleece, snug sacks, or baby blankets.  If you have ferrets good
at using the box, use carpeting.  If they are litterbox challenged, use
vinyl flooring for ease of cleanup.

Melodyt and the slinky six

---
Melody Tomaszewicz
Holdings Record Maintenance Team Leader
New Brunswick Libraries
Access/Collection Services
Rutgers University
Email: [log in to unmask]
Phone:  (732) 445-3856 ext. 313

             \(_   \(_

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."