From:
Ferret MOM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 08:24:23 -0700
I just got home last night after spending 2 weeks traveling, visiting &
going to the International Ferret Congress symposium.  Expensive it was,
but definitely worth it.

On the way I had the pleasure of meeting crazyferretmom and her business.
Her cage set up was to die for with the great cages and bedding.  After
inspecting each of her furr kids her son kept my husband entertained with
fotos and stories while we had the pleasure of a kitchen sit down talk.
She is a remarkable lady and privately rescues and shelters.  She had
just taken in a very sad case with 2 2yr olds.  Thankfully they are
eating well and are in a home (not a shed) where they belong.

The next day we pulled in to a small town in Mo. and found cherokeenancy.
She was 1 of my first customers on eBay and we have remained email buds.
She now has 5 ferrets that are the prettiest weasels I have layed eyes
on.  Maybe the cold weather explains it.  I know she talks cause many
people recognized me as Ferret MOM.

The symposium was my first time to attend.  I have never even been to a
show to be around so many ferrety people from different walks of life.
Meeting in person many of the people that I had interacted with via
email & the Internet was a trip in itself.  Getting to pick up on the
personalities of the different Doctors was a real eye opener.  Dr.
Fitzgerald is very funny, Dr. Karen Percell has belly-dancing to fall
back on, Dr. Murphy is a night owl, Dr K. plays practical jokes and on
and on.

Lucky enough to have the S.A.F.E. vendors table right next to Jeanne
Carley was awesome.  I even talked with the ferret MOM that supplies
several of her ferrets for pictures.  Randy from Canada was in attendance
and shared her experiences with the large rescues.  I do have 5 signed
copies of her 2005 Ferret Calendar in the things4feritz eBay store and
will be listing her Kits Ahoy tee's soon.  There are only 2 2XL shirts
and I will be posting them as well.  Printing of these shirts has ended
and the last ones are collectors items.  Keep yours in good condition.

The variety of products could empty your pocket book if you had any money
left over after the many auctions and raffles.  The ferret community is
very charitable and had sent & supplied so many things to raise money for
good causes such as S.O.S., ELF and ADV research and education.

I was fortunate to be chosen as one of the people representing a shelter
at a special workshop, There we discussed the needs of shelters small
and large, public and private with and without volunteers and fostering.
Main topic was introduced by the corporate vet from Petsmart and yes they
are going to carry ferrets.  They have a plan that will knock you off
your feet.  They also have given a great amount of money to the U. of
Georgia to come up with a new more accurate ADV test.  If you have more
questions about petsmart please contact me directly.

A great woman from Australia gave a slide presentation on our cousins
from down under.  She told us of her 15 yr old, yes 15, ferret.

More topics were covered by presenters than could be reported on here.

All and all it was an experience to always remember.  Will I go again?
Who knows?  Maybe Toronto.

DOOKS and BLESSINGS from Ferret MOM

Leizann Michele Engelke
1086 River Rock