From:
Ann Barzda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:21:09 -0600
I apologize for the 10-day delay in posting!  Have to plead email problems
and heavy workload!

Stinky boys:

Zen said:  (and this is why I'm answering):
>Whole or vesectomized hobs really really really stink.  Ann from Hillcrest
>Ferrets is just now learning that I am not exaggerating.  It is NOT just a
>bit more potent of the same ferret smell.  Its is terrible.  Anyone who is
>familiar with billy goats (bucks) knows what I mean too.  Ann, care to
>comment on your boy?"

Stink.  Smelly.  Urine on everything.  Yes, everything including me.  My
boy does not considering the evening greeting complete until he drags his
smelly belly across my feet.

When I pick him up to pet him and cuddle him, I know I can't do it in work
clothes for fear of offending everyone.

I LIKE musky ferret smells.  I thought "hob" would be a just a heavier
musky scent.  It's not.  It is one of the foulest odors I've ever smelled
short of falling in a sewer.

They pee on you to let every other ferret in a hundred mile radius know
that YOU belong to THEM.  I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea.

It's a darn good thing I have a sense of humor about it.  Finding my pillow
"anointed" was nearly the last straw.

Anyway, the point is, if you are not going to breed, neuter.  It's
healthier for the animal, who won't be put through the stress of the
sexual cycle, and easier for you.  I have always recommended neutering
for non-breeding animals, it's only common sense.

Ann