From:
JudithMoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 06:16:57 -0700
Yes, I see all the anti-breeding posts.  So this is a response to
MustangCharlie.  I think too many novices in the breeding of ferrets do not
do it with the right background (yours is excellent), the right motives
($$$), or even with enough thought (oh no, my jill died).  When they fail
they come with great gnashing of teetch to tell us in gory detail how their
jill died in labor or ate her babies, of worse yet only partially ate a
living baby.  Now the crying is at us because we did not warn them.  So I
advise all breeders to discourage newcomer breeders until they show enough
stamina to study genetics, get a general background in ferrets (in other
words at least a few years of having ferrets) and are willing to wait and
find the best ferrets around to use as breeders.  We do not need more
ferret millers (as in puppy millers)...we do not need the overpopulation
that requires 10,000 animals a day to be destroyed by the various counties
and towns.  We need to let them know this is not a money making project.
I'm in the hole well over $1500 for this year alone.  So while in basic
fact I agree with you, if the novice is truly sincere, I will help them.
Still I will never discourage those of us who are trying very hard to
protect our well loved ferrets, from trying to discourage those that
attempt to breed ferrets.  This is a trial by fire thing!  It should not be
taken lightly!  We ferret breeders know the pain and the joy of it!  Too
many novices only want the joy!

Moonsong Exotics, bred to be the perfect companion
http://moonsongferrets.virtualave.net