From:
Sharon Pease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 14:22:28 EST
Pet stores:
You've all heard the expression; "Don't judge a book by it's cover".  This
applies to all things in life including chain stores.  The cleanliness,
knowledge, and experience of a store is determined by that particular
store's management and staff, not by the corporate name over the door.

Adoptions:
Our shelter, like most, has adoption guidelines.  Some details may vary
from one to another, but the basic intent is the same; Find these ferrets
good, loving, and safe homes that will hopefully last the ferrets'
lifetime.  In-home checks are done on a case by case basis per adoption.
It's also offered to new ferret owners as "ferret proofing" assistance.

In the end, any adoption procedure can fail, no matter how thorough or
careful the screening of applicants.

There will always be someone who feels the requirements are either too
strict or not strict enough.  Everyone has an opinion and feels that theirs
is best.  I consider myself to be an optimistic pessimist.  I hope for the
best, but expect the worst.

2+:
Gypsy, my first, was given to me as an 18th birthday present from my
mother.  Coco-Puff, my second, I purchased to keep Gypsy company because I
was working full time and taking classes on the weekends.  I noticed that
sometimes one wanted to play with the other and the other wanted to sleep,
so home came my third, Ouija.  When Gypsy died, I saw first hand how
ferrets could grieve for a lost companion.  I worried about the inevitable
death of another which would leave only one, and that one having always had
ferret companionship, so, home came Mr. Grinch.  Anyhow, I now have ten.
Why?  Because...Well...Um...I guess I don't really know...The important
thing is; whatever number you end up with, you're able to give each the
love and care they need.

SP
"There are no perfect plans, only perfect intentions"