From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1993 22:15:00 -0500
I don't live in a FFZ, but the topic of this is somewhat unorthodox, so...

Basically, as I'm sure many of you have noticed, not very many airlines allow
ferrets on board their aircraft.  Of all I've called, only Northwest said
yes (and Continental gave me conflicting information the two times I called).
And I have frequent flyer miles on Continental, so if I go, that's the airline
I'll take.

So, does anyone have advice on how to sneak these bouncy critters onto a plane?
I have a duffel bag they're pretty used to, but they do scratch a bit when
they think there's something interesting to be seen outside.  And who exactly
is it they have to be hidden from -- the person at the check-in desk, the
security people (I don't want them X-rayed!), the gate desk people, the flight
attendants?  Any advice on how to get them to go to sleep and stay asleep
through a 4-hour flight (or at least stay quiet)?  Any chance I could claim
they're "funny-looking dogs" and get away with it?  Would a few drops of, say,
wine help send them to dreamland, or is that not recommended?  How do I give
them water without the bottle making the funny clinking sound?  What else
do I need to know?  What would they do if they caught me?

If you don't want to fill up the FML with all this, please just send a few bits
of advice, and I'll email for details; but I suspect there are other people
who'd be interested too.  Thanks!