From:
Lin Talbot-Koehl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:23:26 -0400
My response:
>I mean no offense, and I'm not looking to start a war, but, $83,000
>was recently donated to Ferrets Unlimited, with an additional $150,000
>pledged, to purchase property on which the shelter building is to be
>located.  How can you possibly say Jean is "getting practically *no*
>support"?

Any money pledged to the shelter to this date has been for *specific
purposes only*, having to do w/ the purchase of a property & towards the
construction of a building only.  It has no bearing on the every day
operation of the shelter.  In regards to the actual operation of the
shelter on a day-to-day basis, no, she *isn't* getting much help.  In a
part of the country where there is supposed to be such a strong ferret
community, I think that's sad & inexplicable.

>Shelters/shelter operators need to know their limits, and people should
>not be guilted into lending a hand when they don't.  Honestly, pulling
>out the cancer card here is in very poor taste (to say the least).

I'm simply recalling the history of Jean's/the shelter's situation.  It
happens to be fact.  The truth isn't always tasteful.

>Forced?  Sheltering is a choice.

And a choice she has steadfastly dedicated herself to for the past 12
yrs.  How many shelters do you know of that have been out there doing
this work for that long?

>I'm not against supporting Jean/Ferrets Unlimited, or any other shelter.
>Shelters need support, and those who choose to support them should be
>commended just as much as the shelter operators themselves are.
>However, reading this post would not have me jumping to help anyone.
>In fact, it's left me with a rather dirty feeling that I'd really like
>to go wash off now.

The idea of washing off - turning one's back on - stark reality, is why
so many shelters are in the situations they are in - not just Ferrets
Unlimited.  If it aint pretty, don't look at it.  Maybe I'm not in
the thick of things because I'm not a member of all these prestegious
organizations, but that's how it looks to me.  And the last I checked,
everyone's entitled to speak their minds.  Even those of us who don't
attach our names to everything in the book, who aren't looking for
recognition or pats on the back.

Jean's probably mad at me for even talking about any of this, of posting
in the first place.  I didn't do it at her behest - I did it because
there is a *dire need* that is not being addressed, & the conspicuous
lack of support from a supposedly strong local ferret community has been
something that I simply *do not fathom*.  I don't know what to do to help
her.  I feel that I *need* to help her.  And, quite frankly, I don't
*know* how to help her.  As a ferret owner, & as one who has adopted from
her, I feel the *responsibility* to do so.  But in Ohio, it appears the
concept of "responsibility" has fallen sadly by the wayside.  It makes
me feel completely helpless.  One would think there'd be *someone* out
there who could pitch in to help figure things out.  I guess not, though.
Apathy reigns supreme in northern Ohio.

And meanwhile, it's the ferrets who suffer the consequences.  And not
just in northern Ohio, but *everywhere*.

I'm really beginning to lose faith & interest in the ferret community in
general.  It makes *me* feel dirty.

Lin, Ariel, Oberon, Max, Puck, & Ivan