From:
"A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 1995 01:09:35 EST
Dear John,
Our hearts go out to you at the time which is the most difficult for those
who love their ferrets so much.  No matter how many times it happens, and in
the shelter business it happens time and again, it never gets easier, only
harder.  Today I received a box from my crematory with 12 little boxes in
it.  Each box of ashes is a part of my life that is irreplacable and each
contains special memories that the name on the box brings back in a flood.
My cremations number in the dozens, but each animal is special and no two
are alike.

You've had such a difficult Christmas and it will be a long time before the
association will fade, but Buddy will always be with you.  There will be
other ferrets.  I know, at this time you think, "no more; I can't keep going
through this", but if you love ferrets there will be more.  Good ferret
owners should care for as many ferrets as they can, preferably taking the
unwanted and unloved from shelters.  I hope you will consider this once
again.

If I may advance a technical note at this difficult time, it is preferable
to refrigerate but not freeze the remains.  For the purpose of necropsy
(autopsy), freezing may distort the picture, so if you have not already done
so, gently wrap Buddy in absorbent toweling, place him in a plastic bag and
seal, then refrigerate.  A good necropsy will still be possible even if
delayed a couple days.

I wish the outcome had been different.  I always wish it would, but you gave
Buddy everything in life and you were there with him at the end.  I'm sure
he was comforted and eased by your devotion.

  Warmest Thoughts.
         Carolyn