From:
"Bill Gruber, FML Moderator" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 00:58:48 EST
Wow, I've gotten LOTS of responses today concerning the proposed FML 10th
anniversary event.

Let me clarify: Disneyworld, near Orlando, Florida was a suggestion, not a
hard decision.  I agree that a poll would be a good idea.

I suggested Disneyworld for many reasons, money being a primary issue:

1) Believe it or not, in early December the hotels/motels near Disneyworld
   are unbelievably inexpensive.  Of course, you CAN spend >$200/night at a
   luxury Disney hotel, but you can also spend less than $20 at a roadside
   motel - they're all over the place and go begging during non-peak times.
2) Air fares to Orlando are very competitive.  This has always been true
   from the Eastern part of the US, but it's now true from other areas as
   well.  SouthWest, for example, recently started servicing Orlando, the
   new PanAm promises inexpensive airfares to Orlando - and there are many
   others.  Even ferret-friendly Delta flies there.  There are even some
   bargains from Europe, should any European subscribers be brave/foolish
   enough to join us.
3) We are talking about December, so the warm weather would help.
4) As much as I'd like to think the FML is the center of our lives, I
   thought it would make sense that major attractions be nearby too - more
   people would come this way since the trip could encompass more than just
   an FML party.
5) Yeah, well, I admit I really like Disneyworld :-)

Another choice could be something in the center of the country which might
enable more people to drive.

Please let me know your thoughts.  If this takes off I'll set up a separate
list to discuss the ongoing arrangements.

Bill