Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 10:23:56 EDT
I don't often write about the passing over the rainbow bridge of one of my
ferrets.  For one thing I've learned is all living creatures die.  With all
the fostering of older ferrets I did, I've seen my share of death.  Without
that experience of letting go, I'd never have been able to start the
shelter.  Every ferret is special in their own way, but there are some that
go above and beyond the call of duty.  Ferguson was one of those.

It was July of 1995, when Pam Troutman's Pet Pals Newsletter arrived in the
mail.  My son and I had been talking about adopting a silver ferret.  In the
newsletter a silver was listed by the name of Ferguson.  That evening hoping
that I beat anyone else, I called Pam and expressed my interest in Fergie.
Pam explained that Fergie and his mate, Choco came to her very ill with
adrenal disease.  Fergie had pulled through the operation great, Choco was
still struggling.  She was having to hand feed Choco.  She asked if I'd be
interested in taking the pair and working on Choco.  She had so many ill at
that time.  I thank Pam for that experience, for if it wasn't for that
learning to hand feed and deal with sickness, I wouldn't have progressed on
to where I am.  I'd been too scared that I couldn't pull a ferret through,
that I didn't know enough.  I'm sure most of you have been there.

Fergie fit in with my gang great.  Fergie loved to sit on my lap and drink
water out of my cup.  He loved to steal pieces of my dinner off my plate
when I ate in front of the TV.  But most of all Fergie loved to love others,
both people and animals.  Fergie loved to kiss.  He had to have been the
most kissy face ferret I ever met.  It wasn't too long after I got him that
I volunteered to start fostering older ferrets.  This way they didn't have
to go back into the shelter (ECE exposed).  When I would get in a pair and a
mate would pass on, it was Fergie who could pull the remaining ferret out of
depression.  Fergie was here on this earth for a purpose and he served it
well.

A year ago Fergie started going down hill.  I took him into Dr. Weiss.  He
was diagnosed with Inslinoma.  Fergie was six years old then.  I wondered if
going through with the operation would be wise or just be a strain for
Fergie.  I decided to go for it.  While Dr. Weiss was in there, the other
adrenal also had a tumor.  Fergie came through the operation with flying
colors.  When he recovered he was like a new ferret.  It was well worth the
money to see the turn around in him.  Even though he was been on medication,
the Inslinoma started to take it's toll the past 6 months.  Periodically I'd
find him just lying there, with a far away look in his eyes.  I'd rub a
little Karo syrup on his gums and he'd perk back up.  Last night when I let
him out to play he again went into this state.  This time I couldn't pull
him out though.  I hoped for the best for him.  But at 12:30 am, he started
screaming.  God you never want to hear that.  He was convulsing.  I rushed
him to the emergency room.  Blood sugar was normal, so I had succeeded in
doing that early the evening before.  At 1:15 I opted to put him out of his
misery.  I wish he had a longer life, but he definitely had a full life the
last three years with me.

God bless you Fergie, may your soul keep dancing.  I am going to miss my
kisses.

Faith
Ferrets R #1