From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jul 2011 11:44:07 -0400
Not only does NJ have wild mink in multiple areas, but we have weasels,
and some otters. In one area there has been a small population of
reestablished pine martens but I do not know if they still are there
nor how well or not well they are doing. Steve and I saw one of them
maybe something like 15 years ago -- I really can't recall for sure
how long ago it was. Years ago a biologist at DEP and I discussed the
population there which it is not near our home but in a different area
we were visiting. On very rare occasion fishers are seen but they
usually have travelled in one way or another from Northern New York
State.

I do not know what wildlife is in the area under question but there are
excellent biologists at the DEP who can tell you.

Looking online there historically was a mink farm there so that also
could inject a population of escapees which might carry on:

http://www.ci.barnegat.nj.us/history.html

We are in the Ridge and Swamp geographical region (and have a wide
range of mustelids in our general area), but according to this ref
the NJ Pine Barrens (NY also has two pine barren areas.) has mink,
river otters, and long tailed weasels:

http://www.pineypower.com/animals.htm

and HERE is a list of the mammals of NJ:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/chkmamls.htm

which I notice does not put the fisher in there so perhaps that
population is not doing well or is gone now.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html