From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 09:27:26 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Question for VETS
>Recently we have noticed a number of ferrets with insulinoma on whom
>Proglycem is never tried.  Why?  Is it just that vets are leery to prescribe

The treatment protocol I use is to first try prednisone and if no success
then Proglycem.  It works well.  It is usually the owner who has the problem
with the expense of the drug.

>From:    Monna Maldonado <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: skinny ferret
I> have a female ferret, Taz, she is almost 2 years old.  She is getting very
>skinny, otherwise she acts the same, seems very healthy, her coat is nice,

I would have a vet examine her.  Chronic low grade weight loss can be a sign
of chronic gastro-enteritis (Helicobacter, ulcers, etc.) and should be
treated now.

>From:    Maria DeCicco <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Adrenal Surgery Again
>I wrote a few days ago about my ferret Ginger who had her left Adrenal Gland
>removed back in December.

Currently I am recommending that you try to leave a least 1/2 of one adrenal
gland so have some normal functioning tissue.  Ferrets that have had both
totally removed seem to do well (anecdotal stories) but with all the things
that adrenal glands do, I would want to avoid total removal.

>From:    Melanie Hawkins <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ear problem

I have had a couple of these ferrets and I think it is hyperpigmentation
secondary to chronic ear inflammations.  I treat for an ear infection and
tell the owners just to monitor.

>From:    Kat Jones <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: heartworms and stiches
>vet today He was neutered.  He has a pretty mean looking scar across his
   [and]
>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Heartworm

Sorry for the late posting. The stitches should be healed by now.

As for heartworms: yes, ferrets can get the disease but because most of them
are indoor pets they are at a very low risk (because of no exposure to
mosquitos).  As a preventive, you can use Heartgard by Merck.

>From:    stephanie ann maehr <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ECE and Pepto
>Marty had ECE about a year and a half ago.  Their tummies haven't been quite

Long term use of Pepto seems to be okay to do.  Use it until the symptoms
are gone plus two more weeks.

>From:    Regina Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: VET question: skin bumps
>A few days ago I noticed a bump about the size of a mosquito bite on Cully's
>neck.  He'd scratched the very top of it off, and there was a little blood

I would treat it with hydrogen peroxide and an antibiotic creme.  If it
persists for longer than 7-10 days, have it examined by your vet.

>From:    Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Augh! Friday! Sick!
>Well, Friday has yet more weird symptoms, and I'm really suspecting adrenals
>here.  You'll remember she was snortling - had nasal congestion - a few

Rear limb weakness is highly suggestive of low blood sugar but not the only
cause.  Any type of infection or chronic inflammation can result in it.

>From:    Tammy Castro <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Question on Ferrets and Pregnant Women
>A friend of mine who is 3 months pregnant, owns a 4 year old female ferrET.
>I would like to know if anyone knows of any special considerations

The big concern is that ferrets can cause toxoplasmosis.  This can cause
birth defects in a fetus during the first trimester.  The most common cause
of infection for pregnant women is eating undercooked meat.  Other causes
can include handling cat (or ferret stool - for example, cleaning out the
litter boxes.  Have your significant other do for the nine months :) and
tell them that you're only protecting your baby.

>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Hair Loss
>I have a question that maybe someone can answer for me.  My 5-yr-old,
>"Beanie," has had an enlarged spleen for about 3yrs now.  He seems fine,

Possible adrenal disease for the hair loss.  Most enlarged spleen are due to
stimulation from some chronic, low grade inflammation or infection.  Many
times I therapeutically treat for Helicobacter enteritis and the spleen
shrinks back towards normal size.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA