From:
"Ann D. Phillips" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 12:32:51 -0400
There has been good response from FMLers regarding the letter writing
campaign to Petco to ask them to stop selling ferrets.  However, to make
a difference here, we need more participation.  Again, I'd like to ask
that if you are interested in sending an letter to the executive
officers of  Petco - Please do so.  A basic letter template and names of
the officers with addresses follows.  You may choose to modify the
letter template as needed - but it is important to make it clear just
how overwhelmed our shelters are and to be polite and as agreeable as
possible.  Remember, we need Petco's cooperation!

For those who are unfamiliar with the situation - here is the reasoning
behind this campaign.

   Ferrets are great pets, and wonderful companions, but due to the
   complexity of keeping this animal they are not good impulse purchase
   pets.  Even people with the best of intentions often find that
   ferrets are more then they expected.

   The result of this is that many ferrets are turned into shelters and
   the shelter system is overwhelmed.  Most of the ferrets surrendered
   came from retail channels.  There are more then 40 shelters on the
   FML shelter list and countless individuals doing foster care.  The
   majority of these shelters are privately funded.  As more ferrets
   enter retail channels, more ferrets are surrendered.

   The number of ferrets needing homes climbs every month.

The goal is to see the large chains stopping the sales of ferrets.  This

may provide enough leverage to pressure the smaller stores on a one by
one basis.  Even if the smaller stores stopped *stocking* ferrets, but
just fufilled special customer orders, that would help reduce the
impulse purchases that so often lead to abandonment.