From:
Brian and Lisa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 18:17:46 -0400
Hi All,
I have really enjoyed the FML.  I have learned quite a bit.  I would like
to pass a little information on to you.  There was an e-mail from someone
about giving their fuzzy penicillin.Said he had trouble because his fuzzy
hated the banana taste and smell.

My Vet gave me "Cephalexin suspension" and my Chamois loves it.  When I
do need to give it to him, he thinks it is treat.  It has a citrus smell.
Chamois has a swallowing problem.  And seems to have alergies, so if he is
conjested or coughing, he receives the medicine.  I would like to share
Chamois' story with you.  I will try to be brief.  I bought him at a pet
store for company for my Sneak.  I did notice he gurgled when I held him,
and I did point this out to saleswomen at store.  Two days later, I called
her because of his gurgle seemed to worsen.  She sent me to their vet and
he diagnosed him with Sinutsitis.  He gave me meds but didn't help.  I
called the saleswomen again and she said I should bring him back and let
them tend to him or put him down if they couldn't find what was wrong.  Two
weeks had gone by and I wasn't about to give him up for fear they would not
try all they could do.  So, she let me take him to my own vet.  We took
blood, xrays, all he could.  He finally decided that he has an inactive
nerve that aides in his swallowing.  The pet store reimbursed me the price
of my Chamois to cover most medical costs and I kept him.  The vet said he
was born without this nerve.  I haave only given him Cephalexin suspension
three times in the three years I have had him and he has had no other
problems.  I feel vets and people who have ferrets should know my story so
as not to assume all fuzzies who cough or have trouble swallowing aren't
healthy in all other areas.

Thanks for reading.
Lisa and her boys, Sneak and Chamois