From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:03:41 -0400
Between the some serious health problems in two older relatives and the
hurricane I have lost some mails and forgotten a LOT of things.  If there's
something I'm supposed to be doing for you remind me, okay?  Know there are
some things I should attend to.  It's been hard around here recently.  Know
that I am hoping for follow-up info on the one with squamous call, and some
other individuals and efforts.  BTW, speaking of extreme (but extremely
successful) surgeries: it can be very useful for other vets to know about
these and know WHO did the operations.  That way vets here (or those to
whom ferret people get information) will know who to consult.

Don't be surprised if it's hard for me to get to things recently or for a
while yet.

Steve returns from two sequential business trips tomorrow.
Yipppppeeeeee!!!!!!  (Hope he remembers the ferret stuff today since he's
in Cuppertino now but he sounds like he's coming down with something so he
might not.) The ferrets miss him badly, too, so in the daily to twice daily
phone calls we use the speaker phone sometimes or I hold them up to the
phone's earpiece and they'll nose bump him or kiss him through the phone.
When he called out one of Meeteetse's nicknames to day she stood up and
began wagging her tail and getting excited.  Glueball danced up and down to
hearing him praise her over the speaker, Ashling, Warp, and Jumpstart all
go very happy-acting when their names were said.  Scooter slept through it
all with his pudgy bum hanging out a hammock.  When he names treats to them
(which he didn't to this morning) they will lick their chops and point out
to where the treats are kept.

Our main determining factor (since we save a LOT of money ahead of time
toward medical care, we have a good set-up, sick cages, great vets locally
at Basking Ridge Animal Hospital, and over 16 years of experience so aren't
caught off guard too often) is the time we can manage to give each
individual.  Even our vets know that if we think there's a medical problem
then there probably is one because we know these individuals so very well
that we can spot changes fast -- something which recently saved Meeteetse's
life when she got pleurosy with possible pneumonia but was almost
asymptomatic.  The change was slight, but was of a type we felt warranted
fast jumping, which was very lucky after the x-ray was developed and showed
that she needed intensive care and further testing.  We feel that optimal
care is DEPENDENT on being able to spot small changes as fast as possible.
We managed at 7, but it was difficult and not optimal for anyone.  We are
much more comfy at 6 individuals, and they are happier with the greater
level of attention.  People have to assess their individual situations and
be logical about it, not by restricting care or ignoring the critters --
because that may well be one way to save money but it isn't kind or
responsible, but by having the numbers of ferrets which they can logically
provide with LOVING CARE.

Like Karen, we think that three might be an ideal number for most ferrets
and their people due to more than three requiring so very much time and
being so expensive, but know that you actually ARE up to the needs involved
before going up to three or having more than three.  Be honest with
yourself, that's all.

Usually at least one of us is here, but we use a veterinary tech as our
ferret sitter when we both rarely do need to be away.  It's worth the cost
to have the guys stay here and get that level of care.

Oh, and to be kind enough to yourself SPACE THEIR AGES.  Having several
sick or dying at the same time is exceedingly hard emotionally and
financially.  If you are new to ferrets and want another one or two -- and
can afford the costs, necessities, and time -- then ask at shelters about
ones who are different ages.

Bob's not exaggerating about Troy Lynn!

This is a topic which comes up periodically.  Like Bob I get letters
at times asking about it, and a few issues ago in the American Ferret
Report Diane Rogers did a beautiful article on it.  For people who
want to read more on it just use the FML search feature or stick
around since it's one which tends to be discussed a lot each time.
After a while, though, it devolves to someone getting defensive and
thinking that something which wasn't personal was, or that students
are being insulted since they often tend to have less money, or
something like that, so let's be more constructive this time than
those times, okay?

The evacuation thread is a very good one.  Useful information!

Legalization:  the single best reference is actually the
approximately 350 page book which Floyd Carley has put together and
is $25 with shipping extra, so write to Jeanne about that.  Add the
Compendium from JAVMA or http://www.avma.org, the CDC human rabies
report from either
http://www.cdc.gov/epo/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00056176.htm or
http://domino1.hcssa.amedd.army.mil/vetcom.nsf, ferret history stuff
(on a few webpages and in http://www.ferretcentral.org, and other
materials discussed here and on the appropriate webpages in relation
to the CA and NYC work.  Pass out copies of Modern Ferret to the
council members since a picture is worth a thousand words, include a
color copy of an old and influential piece of art work like d
Vinci's, etc.  The person to whom you allude is not the best or
single source of such info and what that person offers is available
in Ferret Central or in back issues of the FML by using the search
engine so it's not necessary to point fingers.  If I could dig these
things up anyone can; there's PLENTY out there!

Sukie
(On my side of the family there are now 8 close relatives ranging from late
70s to early 90s -- Dad, my stepmom, and three aunts and three uncles --
and all but the youngest one have what will likely be their final health
problems so it's all up and down pretty often with the downs often being
large downs in terms of the seriousness of the situations.  Steve's side is
younger -- early to late 70s, so at least things are somewhat staggered so
far.)