From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2011 08:10:10 -0700
Hi Everyone:

In NY, we have one shelter strictly for ferrets from Buffalo to the
Hudson Valley, covering abut 2/3 of the state. That is Lake Road Ferret
Farm in Naples, NY. Brenda has been full for the last year at 50
ferrets, taking in only severe cases. I live closer to the WNY area and
have started to work with Lollypop Farm, a very large humane society in
the Rochester area that is privately funded. Now fostering for them and
working with their staff, our goal is educate staff about the ferrets
and their needs while improving conditions for them until they are
adopted. Through Lollypop, I was introduced to a smaller shelter that
deals strictly with small animals. Kind of a NY mini version of Beth's
Critter Camp.

For about three months, I was trying to gain access to two ferrets that
were at LP who had bitten staff and broken skin. Fortunately they are a
no kill shelter, but unfortunately have some rules that are difficult
to work around after the animals bite. My chase took me to Rachael and
Ray at Small Pets, Big Hearts, Inc. They were happy to have help with
biting ferrets. They indeed were biters, adding scars to my hands as
well as many before me. Once in a true ferret environment, however,
they quickly gave up their bad behavior. Had it not been Ray and
Rachael in Cheektowaga, (Buffalo) I am uncertain of the fate of these
two dynamite girls.

Shortly after taking Belle and Lovey, four ferrets were surrendered to
Ray and Rachael. Two males, Dominic and Rufus and two females, Crimson
and Phoebe. All are older -- big surprise. All have adrenal disease,
other health issues and need surgery -- bigger surprise! Their shelter
vet is Dr. Tomaschke in East Aurora. He does a great job. I was pleased
when I visited his site and he had a link to All About Ferrets!! I
have hooked him up with my vet to give him a local resource for the
Deslorelin implants. One of the ferrets had surgery, but once inside
the vet felt it was too dangerous to remove the tumor, so this ferret
will reside with R & R for his hospice time. Dominic had to have his
tail amputated as a result of a tumor near the base. This ferret will
also require surgery for adrenal. You can read more about the four
ferrets and their other guests on their blog.

Sharing resource information and networking for the shelter to benefit
from assistance that is available, is my goal at this time. I will be
taking them cages that are more appropriate for older ferrets as well
as new and varied bedding.

Big Hearts, Small Animals helps fill a vast void here in the WNY area
where ferrets (and other small animals degus, g-pigs, rats, gerbils,
bunnies, hamsters, and birds,) are concerned. Now part of their foster
family system, I hope to help them with additional resources available
through our ferret community. When meeting Rachael and Ray and touring
their shelter, I was very impressed with the number and great condition
of animals, the cleanliness of the place and their dedication. Rachael
heard of this wonderful group of folks who are able to help move
mountains -- the ferret community. I hope you are also able to help
our small corner of the ferret world and the needy ferrets in it.

Big Hearts, Small Animals, Inc. took over a previously functioning
shelter named Life Long tails, that is why the site name is different
in some of the listings. If you are able to help with a monetary
donation to help pay for these surgeries, it would be greatly
appreciated. Read about the ferrets and see their pics on their
blog.

http://lifelongtails.blogspot.com/
http://www.lifelongtails.org/about.html
http://www.smallpets-bighearts.org/about.html