From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 18:24:25 -0500
>I have a ferret that was diagnosed from biopsy with Lymphosarcoma.  (He
>had tumors above and below one eye.) That diagnosis was three years ago,
>he has done really well with pred!  My problem is that he has had adrenal
>symptoms for over a year.  Due to his lymphosarcoma I was advised not to
>do surgery... noticed he is dribbling urine and licks that area a lot

Dear X:

Adrenal surgery at this point should have no effect on the course of
lymphoma.  Skin lymphoma is very different than other forms of lymphoma -
prolonged remission is often the case with complete surgical excision of
the tumors.

I share your concern about the possibility of prostatic disease at this
point - hemoglobin will not differentiate between the two, but a sediment
exam may help - crystals indicate a possibility of stones, abundant white
blood cells and squamous epithelium suggests prostatic disease.  If an
X-ray has not been done, I would strongly suggest it, as large stones may
be seen with an X-ray.

The risks of adrenal surgery are the same in this case as any other - no
greater, and no less.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM