From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 08:26:37 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    AlphaChi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Raw Egg ??
>Does anyone have any info regarding the use of raw egg added to the regular
>food of ferrets?  I am aware of the effect of avidan in humans, but ...

The same effect of breaking down biotin occurs in ferrets plus you need also
to consider the salmonella possibility which would affect a small animal
like a ferret much more quickly.  I would avoid it.

>From:    Mark Beaton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fervac reaction
>...Last, never, never, never give a distemper shot into the scruffed area
>behind the head (neck).  The point of entry is too close to the brain,
>especially as the vac is absorbed into the body.  Fervac should be given
>into a scruffed area around the rear leg or "hip" area.

All the preceding stuff is true except the implication of the above
paragraph.  The allergic reaction seen has nothing to do with location on
the body.  The reason why some veterinarians give the injection in the leg
is that the skin there is thinner and it is easier to pierce the skin with
the needle.

>Bela. . . Our petite little 3 year old seems very sick tonight.  I have no
>idea what it could be.  She has been Vomit/coughing all night (about 6 hours
>now.) It is really breaking my heart.  She had a very gassy bowel movement
>(and a little poopie came out much skinnier than normal,) and she has had
>noisy spells of dry heaving (alot of gooshing sounds coming from her abdomen

Sounds like a possible obstruction. Get her to the vet a.s.a.p.

>From:    "C. MOSCH" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: congestive heart w/ ECE complication
>Any suggestions/advice for care-taking for a 6 1/2 yr. old ferret who is
>still suffering with repercussions from ECE (all 5 of our girls got it last
>July), immensely swollen abdomen- probably a tumor in her remaining adrenal
>or in her pancreas, and now, congestive heart failure...

Should be able to treat each disease separately without too much interaction.
Congestive Heart Failure can also lead to diarrhea/soft stool also.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare, NH, USA