From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 15:54:11 -0500
To Carol Ann Smith and Dr. Williams:

Regarding your questions and comments about ECE in Shelters:

I think - and this is my own opinion - not shared by many - that shelters
who have had ECE should not take in any more ferrets.  This is not to say
that shelters should go out of business or give up what they are doing,
but switch to a new building/house.

Many new outbreaks often occur on the show circuit.  I believe this is
how it is spreading so rapidly.  Apparently once confined to the east
coast, ECE has now spread across country as people travel to shows and
then bring it back home with them.

I know of a couple of clubs who stopped taking ferrets into their existing
shelters and opened new shelters.  I think this is the responsible thing
to do.  I also think it is irresponsible not to tell people who drop
ferrets off at shelters that you have had ECE.  People have the right to
know about this virus - not all people who drop ferrets off at shelters
are irresponsible owners - I can think of a couple of instances where
"friends" went on vacation, left their ferrets with somebody, and never
came back!  These people eventually turned the ferrets over to a shelter
because they could not permanently keep them.  They cared deeply about
these ferrets and when given a choice, chose a shelter with no previous
ECE exposure.

WNYFLFA has had members drop out because I would not allow them to bring
their previously infected ferrets to an educational display in front of a
pet store that sold ferrets.  I feel strongly enough about this issue to
stand by my convictions on this.  I would rather lose members than be the
cause of even ONE ferret becoming sick.  Our remaining members have
supported me on this, and this will remain our policy.  I don't bring my
own ferrets to these displays because they had ECE.

My ferrets got ECE the first year I bred - I sold those kits to non-
ferret homes.  I did the same thing last year.  Since then, many of
those ferret owners bought additional ferrets and have had no problems
with ECE.  No litters so far this year so it's not an issue yet.

It's also been 2 years now since they were infected - Dr. Williams, do
you think my ferrets are safe yet or is it still possible for them to
pass this on to unexposed ferrets?

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY