Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 1994 20:39:36 -0500
     The McDowell and Longtail incident has been constantly
on my mind. I have so far been unable to contact them but I am
going to try this weekend again. This really hits home since
I live in the same %$#*@! state and those pretty symbols do not
stand for nice words. I have been sending every possible monetary
amount my budget will allow to the McDowell's since my heart
and mind are so troubled by their plight. To add to this
frustration of what is happening to them, last week the local
newspaper ran a very unsettling ad. It stated something similar
to this: " Help! If anyone knows the whereabouts of our ferret
Longtail or how to find him, please contact the Kansas State
Health Dept., The Pottawatomie Health Dept. or the Pottawatomie
Court House. We need your assistance please."
     Do you think Rita or Mike placed this ad? I doubt it, but I
will ask when I talk to them. The fact that the State is still
looking for the ferret tells me the State placed the ad in hopes that
some unsuspecting do-gooder would come up with some information.
This is not a criminal wanted for manslaughter for heavens' sake,
this is a poor little ferret! I feel as if I am in a state ruled
by the Gestapo and at any moment the police will knock down
my door and take my children away! Sorry for rambling on but I
had to get that off my mind. In a lighter note;

To Laura McDonald: About the ferrets' dry, scaly feet...I
have some information on older ferrets and it mentioned that
as a ferret ages it sometimes has this problem with dry foot
pads. It recommends rubbing some petroleum jelly (AKA Vaseline)
on the foot pads. This will help seal in the moisture. I use it
on my hands in the winter because they also dry out due to
moisture loss. I also enjoyed your song, I can even remember
the original words to "I'm a Girl-Watcher!"  My, My, My!
One of my little wild men enjoys my wrist over my toes.
The other loves my ankle bone. All of the fossil four just
love to lick my nose. Ferrets seem to get more mellow as they
join the senior citizen club. I hope the petroleum helps.
You will most likely have no problems putting it on their
pads, but keeping it on might prove difficult since some
ferrets love the taste of it...yuck! The base of Petromalt
is petroleum jelly and my ferrets relish the flavor. Good luck.

To Anon concerning abusive Vet: I am in shock! It makes me
sick to think a person that animal owners should trust would
be abusing their pets! Help, Dr.Williams....Isn't there an
association for veterinary practices that can be notified?
There is always something in the news about doctors who
abuse their patients, don't animals have rights too?
We are the voices of animals who can not speak for
themselves. It is up to us to protect them against
such cruelty. Anon, please keep us updated on the
situation, as this is undoubtedly very disturbing to
all of us who love animals and most certainly stressful
for you.

                                  Judy and the significant others.